Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home OTHERS DOH declares measles outbreak in Taguig barangay

DOH declares measles outbreak in Taguig barangay

The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday declared a measles outbreak in one barangay in Taguig City.

 

 

 
 

According to GMA News TV's Quick Response Team, health officials decided to declare the outbreak after seven cases were recorded in the community over the past two weeks.

In an interview, Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said four cases were recorded during the first week followed by three more the week after.

He said children in the area who had yet to receive measles vaccinations had been given "catch-up vaccinations."

Domingo added education drives on preventing the spread of the disease were being conducted among residents.

According to a report on Balita Pilipinas Ngayon, three children who contracted measles in Zamboanga have reportedly died.

The city's health office has more than 200 cases since January.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque on Wednesday pleaded with parents to have their children vaccinated amid outbreaks of the preventable disease in Davao City and Zamboanga City.

"Pwede hong malaking kapahamakan ang mangyari sa inyong mga anak dahil lamang sa nawalan kayo ng tiwala sa bakuna ng Department of Health, ay hindi namna po tama," Duque had said.

Health officials have blamed the fear of vaccines—even those that have been tested effective over time such as the one against measles—to the Dengvaxia controversy. —NB, GMA News


SOURCE:  http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/metro/645138/doh-declares-measles-in-outbreak-taguig-barangay/story/

Document Actions
  • Powered by Digital Information Systems and Technologies